I’m pleased to announce that my new course on marketing translations and transcreation, hosted by The Alexandria Library, is starting September 18th, 2014.
The course includes three online lessons, and is designed for translators who want to dig deeper into the realm of creative translations at large. Each webinar is self-contained and covers a specific aspect or topic; the lessons also present with case studies and real-life examples to make the discussed information and techniques easily understandable and sticky.
Course structure and contents
- September 18th, 2014: Key principles of effective and persuasive communication (90 minutes)
The first lesson focuses on the underlying mechanisms of communication, and explores the often misunderstood concepts of effectiveness and persuasiveness. Following an analysis of the characteristics of marketing communication, we’ll then discuss 10 strategies you can implement right away to enhance the overall quality and effectiveness of your marketing translation and business communication efforts.
- October 28th, 2014: Fundamentals of transcreation (90 minutes)
When translating highly creative marketing texts (such as slogans, print/TV ads etc.), preserving the impact of the original copy is just as important as conveying the factual information within. To do so, professional creative translators rely on a specific process, i.e. transcreation, aimed at prompting desire and action in an audience with a different cultural and linguistic background. This webinar explores the features and peculiarities of the task as well as typical tools of the trade, challenges and approaches.
- November 5th, 2014: Writing techniques for marketing translation and transcreation (120 minutes)
The third and last lesson from the course focuses on writing techniques translators can use to craft a compelling voice for their customers. Following a brief introduction on the uses of language in the context of marketing and promotion, we’ll discuss rhetorical devices, figures of thought, schemes, figures of speech, and figures of sound. Each technique is presented as per its characteristics, and the communication goals it can help achieving.
Registration, pricing and attendance information
The webinars can be purchased either individually or as a bundle . Modules 1 and 2 are available at 42 € each, whilst module 3 costs 52 € (all prices are ex VAT). Registrants who sign up for the complete course enjoy a 15 € discount on the course total price.
- Registrations are handled by The Alexandria Library directly. To sign up for one or more sessions, please refer to the Registration tab on the relevant webinar page;
- Invoices and certificates of attendance are available upon request (issued by Alexandria);
- Video replays will be available exclusively for those who signed up for the actual webinar, even if they could not attend. Registrants, however, are encouraged to participate in the live sessions, so they can also benefit from the Q&A sessions and guided discussions.